Monday, March 3, 2008

A Very Rewarding Challenge

I originally had no idea what to expect about today. My patient showed up and I was soooooo stoked!!! I finally got a class III patient! I didn't need to take any x-rays becuase she just had some taken a month ago at Mid town so that helped me be a little quicker. It took me a while to probe (Luckily Jessica helped me chart) but they were the deepest readings I have ever gotten...all the way up to a 9!!! It was exciting but at the same time intimidating. There was a little bit of a language barrier, but I think she understood me pretty well and I was able to get most of my message across. She had brought her 2-year old little girl with her which at first was quite the distraction. After a while Amber said "she's so cute, but I think she is falling asleep!" She was sitting on the floor just swaying back and forth. Luckily I was able to grab her before she hit the ground. The rest of the appointment she layed between her moms legs and snored. It was a whole new experience scaling. I missed 9 spots in 1 quad...it is amazing to me how far you have to stick your instrument to remove the calculus...and this wasn't just any calculus, this was some tenacious stuff! I hope to be able to continue to learn as I complete the other 3 quads next time. I was also able to pass of my ultrasonic PE today, which I wasn't originally expecting to be able to do, so now I have all the Pe's done that are due next Wed. I don't get quite as nervous about the appointments as I used to, so hopefully I will just continue to get more comfortable and build more confidence. I'm totally up for the challenge!

1 comment:

The Pyper's! said...

Wow that is so good! I am glad that you got a Class III! I think that I won't even know what to do when I get a class III so way to go! And only 9 spots that seriously is so good!!