Monday, January 28, 2008

Whew!

Today I had a goal of completing a class 1A patient and passing off my selective polishing PE. I really wanted to get 2 BWX's and 2 occlusals. When I saw the weather outside I was worried my patient wouldn't show up, but I lucked out and they got here right on time! I feel good about what I accomplished today. It was my patient's first time to the dentist, so I knew that could be a little challenging, but nothing I couldn't handle. When I went in to do the x-rays, we got the 2 occlusals taken just fine. But then when it came time to do the BWX's he really struggled. I learned something though. Prof. M mentioned that I should have had the dad wait outside the room. I feel like I could have gotten them, but the dad had already made the decision for the kid that it was too hard to do. I will know better for next time to have the parent wait outside the room.
We came back to do the cleaning. He was getting really antsy and didn't want to lay in the chair anymore. I did half a mouth RC prophy and half toothbrush prophy to pass off my PE. We finished it up and got them out of here. I felt like I was a little more at home today working with the kid, but it still is a lot of extra paper work etc, that I am not used to doing at the office! Overall, I feel like the day went smoother than past days have gone. He is the first patient I have actually completed all the way through (not much of an accomplishment since it was just a 1A, but still.) What a relief to have the day over!

No comments: