Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Little Bit of Help Makes a World of Difference!

Today went well. I made it through the OD check and OHI with my class V patient. I was really hoping he would be a class II....but it just didn't happen. He had the bone loss present, but his tissues were pretty good and didn't have enough calculus to be classified as a II. Better luck next time right! I felt like today went a little bit smoother. Prof. Costley came in to help me with my vertical BWX. I didn't use the Rinn kit this time and it seemed to work better. I think in the future I will just use the tabs. Also something I didn't know...you can't take vertical BWX with the digital sensor, I guess it doesn't work!
Another thing I learned today is how to detect which teeth are the pontics in bridges. If you can't get between the teeth with the floss from the incisal edge, then get a floss threader and point it toward the tooth (away from the gingiva to prevent poking the pt!) and see if you can run the strand of floss up under the tooth.
I haven't even scaled a patient yet this semester so it could be interesting the next time I get too! The thought of reaching my requirements is always in the back of my head. I need to pick up the pace at each individual appointment and accomplish more, but at this time I'm just not really sure how to do this!!!

No comments: