Monday, January 14, 2008

Turn My World Upside Down!!!

Well, today my goal was to pass off my sealant PE and my air-powder polishing PE becuase I had a little girl coming in just for sealants. In my mind I had planned it going pretty smoothly becuase I have done sealants plenty of times in the office that I work in. Low and behold...my world got turned upside down today!!!
First off, the patient had cystic fibrosis so I couldn't do my air-powder polishing PE. I was having a hard time getting used to the switches on the suctions with the plastic barriers on them and really struggled turning them off and on (I just switched ops this semester). Then my air-water tip was broken inside and so I was pushing the air and water would come out...which doesn't work well to create a dry field to place a sealant. On top of all this I dropped my etch 2 times and had to go get new tubes. It took me forever and a day it seemed! Luckily I had a patient with patience and a mom that was as well. I'm really struggling to know how I can make my clinic sessions so smoother. I get so nervous and stressed out...a situation that I don't handle well. I need to find some ideas of how to make my mind set like it is just a regular day that I am working in the office. I was just so frustrated because I didn't hardly feel like a accomplished anything, and what I did accomplish was a disaster. Is there any hope for me???
Prof. M said to learn that I shouldn't struggle for so long. If I am having touble with things in my unit I should get one of the CA's to help me set up a new op quick for treatment. Especially when I am working with kids becuase they dont have much of an attention span. I think it would have helped the situation, but not my stress level!

No comments: