Monday, February 25, 2008

Money Doesn't Grow on Trees

Today I got another class II patient!!! I was stoked! He was very receptive to my OHI and seemed like he was a little more motivated when he left to do better. It was the first time I had used the flip chart to teach and I think it worked really well. I didn't get to scaling yet, but I'm planning to do that all next time. He will be my exam patient. He was really easy to talk to and pretty open about things. It has been since he was 12 or 13 since he went to the dentist. Probably like 10 years. I just hope I can convince him that he needs to get in there and get an exam from the dentist when I am done with him. One thing that I learned today is to talk about finances when setting up the appointment with every single patient, even if they have been in before. He had been in several times before, so I figured he was aware of this, but showed up with no money. I ended up paying for the BW's (my decision) but made sure he knew that he needed to bring $28 with him next time because I cannot afford that! I just pray that he really will come back and that he really will bring money with him. It is very obvious to me that money is a huge issue of why most people don't take care of their overall health, including their teeth. But the world keeps turning and we just have to hand over the money! If anybody knows of any $$$$ growing on trees, please help me be aware of this!!!

1 comment:

The Pyper's! said...

Wouldn't that be nice if we could grow money trees ... Good advice though on letting the pt. know up front the cost. I hope that he comes back and has the money too!! Class II - that is awesome!