Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Beginning to an END!

Yes, it has happened. My last semester of school has officially started! Yahoo! It should feel great, but it doesn't feel that great. Instead I feel very overwhelmed! Mindy just updated me today that we have 63 days left until boards (not including sundays of course)....This was like a slap in the face! I have 63 days to know EVERYTHING since the beginning of my college days while still doing all the other bajillion things that need to be done!!!! Now that I have that off my chest I can talk about how my day went.

First day back and I must admit that I was a little bit rusty. Overall though I was very pleased how today went.

I did 2 quads of class 3 exam this morning and only missed 2 spots! I was able to get in 4 injections. I learned something very valuable today while doing my PSA. Put your finger on the occlusal plane of the max teeth, then go down the teeth until you reach bone and then pull the cheek straight out (if that makes any sense at all...) and it really opens it up! I was pulling the cheek in a weird way so it looked as if I was inserted enough for my injection but when Prof. Perry showed me what to do with the cheek it surprised me where I was at!

I was pretty nervous for this afternoon becuase my patient (returning from a year ago) has some pretty severe dental anxiety. I was able to do my nitrous P.E. and she was a class 2, which Perry encouraged me to use her as my exam. (2 exams in one day...the first day of the semester too!) I didnt end up doing injections (which I was super happy about because I watched Joni do it last year and it didn't look fun!) She was able to make it through with the N2O and some topical. I found that I was very paranoid about hurting her though becuase I didn't want to get her all wriled up. I missed 2 spots on the mand anteriors becuase I couldn't get the correct adaptation with the N2O nose in the way....Next time I need to remember to remove that for a few minutes to check this area. I felt that this appointment was much more calm than last year, which was enough to make me happy.

Better go get to my studying...where I will spend every spare second for this semester.

1 comment:

The Pyper's! said...

I love when pt. are on N20 then they can just relax!! You are going to love your loupes - Im hope you remeber them on Thursday... ha ha