Friday, January 16, 2009

Just Another Day WITHOUT a Mockboard Patient!!!

Yesterday clinic went okay. I feel like I'm getting good requirements, just not what I'm most stressed out about right now, which is a mockboard patient. I don't even have any names to call of people to screen. If anybody has any suggestions...please fill free to give them to me!

I had a new patient in the morning who was 1 quad of cl 3 and 3 quads of cl 2. He had some 8 and 9 mm pockets and he didn't even want to be numb!!! I got the cl 3 quad done and had moved to a second quad. When I was getting close to being finished the patient said he needed to be done because his jaw was too tired and it kept popping really bad. Prof. Perry said to just finish that quad next time and get it graded then because I knew if I had him check it then I would have quite a few errors.

The morning seemed to be pretty long. I had a major headache, which really made it drag on. It's just not the same when you aren't feeling up to par. I had my new loupes in clinic for the first time and I didn't even get to use them becuase of my headache...bummer! I'm hoping to try them out real soon!

In the afternoon my brother-in-law came in. I was hoping he would have had more calculus becuase he hadn't had his teeth cleaned for 8 years so that he could possibly be a mockboard patient, but no such luck. I did use him as my class 2 exam so I'm finished with my cl 2 exams...yeah!!!! He was fun to clean because the calculus pretty much just came right off with the ultrasonic. His tissues were pretty red, swollen and tender. I've never seen tissue so fluctuant in the mandibular anteriors. I RXed some Peridex for him to try to help these heal.

He had geographic tongue...of course I forgot the proper name for it, but Perry was quick to remind me of it! If any of the rest of you have forgotten it is benign migratory glossitis. Although he was kind of a woosy (I don't even know how to spell that word!) patient :) I had a ton of fun cleaning them!

Perry caught one of my errors that I've been pretty consistent with so he suggested that I need to bring the cone head a little bit more up and slanted downward instead of going straight on when taking BW's. I had been missing the bone level behind the very back molar. I tried it and it worked fabulous! I love that I get constructive critism to try to make my skills the best I can.

3 comments:

Ryan and Katie Poulsen said...

Don't stress Kristin, it will all work out!! Thanks for the reminder about migratory glossitits(spelling)! I have already forgotten as well, not a good sign for boards.

{Jamey} said...

Yeah I wouldn't have remembered that either! You can always count on Perry! The website for the Mosby's book should be on the front or back cover. You have to create a user account and then you will have access to the answers. I think... I liked to use old boards to study with. They give you a good overall feeling of what the test will be like and what areas you need to work on more. I also used the Decks alot and just carried a stack with me everywhere I went. The Mosby's book has a lot of information so what I did was try to do the quizes first and then skimmed over the chapter, and retook the quiz. I hope this helps/ Let me know if you can get into the website ok.

emilie said...

Sounds like you had a good day of patients. I had two class 1Bs. It's good to be reminded of the things that I haven't seen in a long time like migratory glossitis. Well, I hope you find your mock board. It seems to be stressful, but you'll find one.