Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Some Good Experiences!

This morning we had a lab in clinic. It was really fun to test the pH of our saliva and check our blood sugar. Then we got to practice wtih our curved ultrasonic tips and accessory fulcrums. We also got to try out a sonic scaler and a Piezo scaler; it was interesting to feel the differences between them and the ultrasonic. Katie and Liz were also nice enough to let me try on their loupes for a few minutes to get a feel for them. I'm slowly narrowing down my choices. It is a LOT of money to spend, so I want to make sure I make the right choice!

This afternoon I had a patient come in who I had seen last year. She was my class three last year so I was hoping she would be a class 2 or 3. She was a 3!!! Yeah! I'm using her as one of my exam patients. I was able to give LA for my first time on a real patient! She was nervous becuase she didn't like the shots last time....little did she know that this was my first time and I was more nervous than her! I was the one that needed somebody to calm me down, but I was trying to pretend I'd done it bunches of times and tell her it wouldn't be bad. It went well, but her anatomy kind of took me by surprise. Her zygoma made it very hard to get to where I needed to be for the PSA and I hit osseous 2 times when I did the MSA...I felt like I was clear out in the vestibule! It was quite the awakening that everyone one is NOT going to have textbook anatomy to look for and sometimes you have to make some adjustments!

I also was able to place Arrestin on 2 sites. It was really fun and easy! I liked doing it! I hope it makes a difference in her deep pockets. She is coming back in 3 weeks so I will be able to evaluate if it made any difference and also see if the Chlorehexidine makes a difference as well.

I went over time, but I feel like today was a good day. I had a lot of first experiences, but learned a ton! It's amazing how much we continue to learn everyday!

No comments: